How to Start a Career as a Software Developer in Less Than a Year What is a Software Developer? A software developer creates computer software. They design, build, program, and implement software and maintain the code across different operating systems. Software developers may be referred to as software engineers, computer programmers, or coders. Developers may work as a part of a team within a company or as a freelancer! If you are interested in becoming a software developer, you may be able to start a career in less than a year. Stick around to find out how. Benefits of Becoming a Software Developer Before we look at how to start a career as a software developer, let us look at some of the benefits of becoming a software developer:
- Remote work available – As a software developer, you may have the option to choose a remote work environment. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many companies have shifted to a hybrid work environment, allowing employees to work from home as well as in the office. Depending on whether you work as a freelance software developer or with a team at a company, you may have the flexibility to work remotely.
- Choose between freelance or full-time – Once you have the skills necessary to become a software developer, you can choose between working as a part of a team for a company full-time or doing freelance work. There are benefits and disadvantages with each option, but having the ability to choose your path may ultimately be a benefit.
- Use creativity in your career – Becoming a software developer can allow you to use creativity in your career. Designing and building software can be a very creative process, especially in fields such as application development. If you are someone who wants to work in technology while flexing your creative muscles, software development might be an enriching career to pursue.
- Location – If you plan on moving anywhere in the world, chances are you will be able to find a career there in the field of technology. Many technology companies are expanding to different locations, so If you hope to go to another country or any one of the fifty states, you may be able to find a career as a software developer.
- Learn valuable skills – As a software developer, you can continue to learn new skills. Technology changes rapidly, so as new coding languages are developed, you can learn and integrate it into your existing skills.
- Training program – There are tons of training programs out there. From two-year and four-year degrees, bootcamps, and certified programs, there are many options for you to choose from. Different careers require different levels of training, so it is important to spend some time finding a training program that works with your schedule and level of training necessary. With the right training program, you may complete the program and start pursuing a career in software development in less than a year.
- Apprenticeship – Apprenticeship programs are an excellent choice for candidates with little-to-no experience in pursuing a career in the tech industry. Many apprenticeship programs do not require a degree. In fact, many apprenticeship programs prefer candidates who have recently graduated high school or have less experience. With Apprentice Now’s apprenticeship opportunities, candidates receive pre-apprenticeship training before they start the apprenticeship within their chosen field. Candidates will have the opportunity to complete the apprenticeship and have the potential to stay on as an employee of the sponsoring company. Many tech apprenticeships, including Apprentice Now, cost nothing for candidates as long as they finish the program and accept a job offer. This is possible because companies sponsor the training for individuals to be prepared for their apprenticeships. Apprentice Now’s pre-apprenticeship training typically takes 8 to 12 weeks, with candidates participating in the paid apprenticeship after, allowing you to pursue your career in less than a year.
- Interview process – Perhaps the most intimidating part of starting a career is the initial job search and interviewing process. To prepare for the interview process, you should make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date, and you are an active participant on the platform. Starting this process while you are in the training program will help you prepare for the job application process so that by the time you are finished with the training you can jump into interviewing for available positions. If you participate in an apprenticeship, you may have the opportunity to accept a position at its conclusion, but will still participate in an interview. Preparing for an interview by practicing soft skills such as communication, active listening, and creative thinking will help you when it’s time to interview.
- Keeping up with coding – After you complete your training and start a career as a software developer, it is still important to keep up with trends in coding. New programming languages may emerge and as a software developer, it is your responsibility to learn the new languages. By keeping up with new skills in software development, you can remain marketable as a software developer and add skills to your resume.